Part of The Big Draw 2021
Join us for some free creative maths fun and discover the maths magic behind making beautiful art. Gain inspiration from your local environment to design and create your own symmetrical insect.
can be inspired by nature but did you know that maths can be creative too?
fact, the three are linked more closely than you realise. Many artists create decorative
insect art but have you ever looked closely at an insect? If you do, you will
notice that one side of its body is an exact reflection of the other side.
Insects have bilateral symmetry, this means they have two sides the same! Bees,
ants, beetles all have bilateral symmetry. Can you think of any others?
this activity you will discover the maths behind making beautiful symmetrical
insects as you create your own piece of insect art. You will explore and
discover some of the amazing creatures we share our world with and consider how
to protect the natural environment around us.
fun for all the family – just enthusiasm needed!
To book your free place visit https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-2021-big-draw-festival-symmetrical-insects-tickets-177247420807
This is a free event
Suitable for ages:
All 0-5 6-11
Maths on Toast
Family Friendly Facilities:
- a spacious area for children and parents with books and reading space
- 12 study spaces in the children's library
- children/teen area
- Limited pay and display parking within the civic centre
- 12 disabled parking spaces
- Pedestrian approach on Engineers Way and Exhibition Way
- Level/ramped access
- Entrance on Engineers Way or via the Brent Civic Centre main reception area.